· Abundantly illustrated. When learning a new skill it is often overwhelming to only read how to perform the skill. This book offers a pictorial guide to performing each skill so skills will not only be learned but also remembered.
· Documentation Guidelines direct students and graduate nurses in accurate documentation of the skill and their findings. Sample Documentation demonstrates proper documentation.
· Nursing Alerts (in red type) draw attention to crucial information.
· The nursing process framework is used to integrate related nursing responsibilities for each of the five steps.
· Step-by-Step Skills. Each nursing skill is presented in a concise, straightforward, and simplified two-column format to facilitate comprehension and competent performance.
· Scientific rationales accompany each nursing action to promote a deeper understanding of the basic principles supporting nursing care.
· Unexpected Situations are provided after the explanation of normal outcomes. Each situation is followed by an explanation of how best to react, with rationales. This feature serves as a starting point for group discussion.
· Special Considerations appear in each skill to explain the varying needs of patients across the lifespan and in various settings, including considerations for Infant, Child, and Older Adults; as well as Home Health Considerations (e.g., modifications and home care).
· Skill Variations provide clear, start-to-finish instructions for variations in equipment or technique.