* The book covers essential material for a variety of program levels including in-depth courses beyond the basic statistics course.
* New author team based the book on the organizational framework that Barbara Hazard Munro developed, which a generation of students and health care providers have used.
* Included are chapter-by-chapter sections on the research question, examples from the literature, types of data required, assumptions, details of the specific technique under discussion, and a fully worked out example of how to compute the statistic both by hand and with IBM SPSS.
* The software that is referenced has been updated to SPSS 18.
* Expanded discussions of nonparametric (distribution free) statistics and the chi-square statistic are included.
* The book is organized into three sections: Section 1 focuses on obtaining and understanding your data, Section 2 focuses on analyzing the data (largely with bivariate statistics), and Section 3 focuses on model building and presenting your data.