From the trainee preparing for a board certification examination to the senior faculty member or other health care provider needing a ready reference, the 10th edition of Professional Guide to Diseases features full clinical coverage of more than 600 disorders.
Organized around disease clusters, this comprehensive, clear and concise guide to disease information, ranging from causes, signs and symptoms, and diagnosis through treatment and special considerations, has been updated with the latest in original research and practice guidelines and designed to provide a brief yet comprehensive overview of a large array of disease processes.
This 10th edition features improved sections focused on health promotion and disease prevention— topics that have been receiving added emphasis in health care circles in recent years – as well as updates on many conditions for which a variety of clinical treatment guidelines have been published recently by major professional medical and surgical organizations.
Written for a variety of health care providers, the organizational format allows for review of an entire topic, such as clinical genetics and genomics, or narrows the focus to one aspect of disease, such as the details of treatment or special considerations of emerging illnesses.
New to this edition are artwork and figures that illustrate the pathophysiology of many conditions in a full-color format. These images can not only be used to better understand the topic on a professional level, but can also be leveraged for patient teaching while in the office or hospital.
For the health care provider on-the-go, Professional Guide to Diseases offers authoritative, quick reference features on disease management and patient care, including:
• Pathophysiology flowcharts and illustrations show disease progression.
• Differential diagnosis algorithms simplify difficult-to-diagnose problems.
• Confirming diagnosis icon spotlights test results that verify the diagnosis.
• Alerts point out potentially ominous signs, symptoms, and situations.
• Prevention icon highlights health promotion and disease prevention information.
• Elderly tips and Pediatric tips emphasize important variations in these patient populations.
The Professional Guide to Diseases