IF Gains for 50% of the LWW Portfolio with 16 LWW Titles Increasing 25% or More; 79% of the Medknow Journals Increased their IF Scores
New York, NY (July 15, 2013) – Wolters Kluwer Health announced impact factor gains across its prestigious Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW) journal portfolio and Medknow open access titles with the release of the latest Impact Factor (IF) scores and specialty rankings, based on the 2012 Journal Citation Reports® (Thomson Reuters).
“This was another strong showing across our journal portfolios with half of our LWW journals in the JCR increasing their impact factors, while our open access Medknow titles showed notable gains signaling the growing influence of this peer-reviewed content globally,” said Jayne Marks, Vice President Publishing, Wolters Kluwer Health, Medical Research. “I’d like to acknowledge and congratulate our society partners, editorial and publishing teams for their ongoing commitment to delivering high-quality scholarly works to practitioners and readers around the globe.”
The Medknow open access journal platform, one of the largest open access medical publishers worldwide, continues to gain influence globally with 79% of the 14 titles listed in the JCR enjoying an increase in their IF rating over the previous year.
LWW Journal Portfolio:For LWW’s 200 titles listed in the JCR Rankings, including 38 titles in the Social Science Index, 50% of the journals had gains over the previous year with 16 titles increasing 25% or more. Impressive gains were noted in LWW’s rankings across categories in the JCR Science category. In the top 5 rankings, LWW holds 27 spots across 12 specialties; in the top 10 rankings, LWW holds 60 spots across 27 specialties; and rounding out the top 20 rankings, LWW holds 82 spots across 36 specialties.
Circulation (IF 15.202), published on behalf of the American Heart Association (AHA), maintained its #1 position in Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems category. In the surgery category, Annals of Surgery (IF 6.329) still holds the #1 ranking and is the most-cited journal in its category with 36,761 citations. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, published on behalf of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, increased its Impact Factor 5% to 3.535. The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation took the #1 spot in the Rehabilitation category increasing 33% (IF 4.443), while Ear & Hearing (3.262), the official title of the American Auditory Society, increased 27% to take the #1 ranking in the Otorhinolaryngology specialty. In the Social Sciences Index, Epidemiology, the official title of the International Society for Environmental Epidemiology, held its #1 ranking in the Public, Environmental & Occupational Health category.
Other titles showing impressive gains include the Journal of Hospice & Palliative Nursing rising 90% (IF.727), Orthopaedic Nursing moving 48% (IF .688), and the European Journal of Cancer Prevention increasing 40% (IF 2.974).
LWW Leads with Multiple Top Ten Journals in a Given Category:
Top ranking LWW published journals span many core and specialty medical, nursing, and allied health categories, including Allergy, Healthcare Sciences & Services, Nutrition and Diet Science, Rehabilitation, Respiratory System, Rheumatology, and Virology, among others. Featured category leaders include:
LWW publishes four of the top 10 titles in the Anesthesiology category:
- #2 Anesthesiology, published on behalf of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (IF 5.163)
- #5 Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, published on behalf of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine (IF 3.464)
- #6 Anesthesia & Analgesia, published on behalf of the International Anesthesia Research Society (IF 3.300)
- #9 European Journal of Anaesthesiology (IF 2.792), published on behalf of the European Society of Anaesthesiology
Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems
LWW has the top journal and eight of the top 20 journals in the Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems category:
- #1 Circulation, published on behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 15.202)
- #4 Circulation Research, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 11.861)
- #6 Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.728)
- #7 Circulation: Heart Failure, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.684)
- #9 Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.543)
LWW publishes two of the top 10 journals and five of the top 20 journals in the Critical Care category:
- #2 Critical Care Medicine, published in conjunction with the Society of Critical Care Medicine (IF 6.124)
- #9 Current Opinion in Critical Care (IF 2.967)
Healthcare Sciences & Services
LWW has two titles in the top 10:
- #7 Academic Medicine (IF 3.292), official journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges
- #9 Medical Care (IF 3.227), official journal of the Medical Care Section of the American Public Health Association
LWW has two titles in the top ten and three titles in the top 20:
- #1 Circulation Research, published on behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 11.861)
- #5 Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.338)
LWW has two titles in top ten and three titles in the top 20 in Infectious Diseases:
- #3 AIDS, the official journal of the International AIDS Society (IF 6.407)
- #9 Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS (IF 4.704)
Obstetrics & GynecologyLWW has two of the top ten journals and four titles in the top 20 in the Obstetrics & Gynecology category:
- #2 Obstetrics & Gynecology, published on behalf of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (IF 4.798)
- #10 Menopause, published on behalf of The North American Menopause Society (IF 3.163)
LWW has two titles in the top 10 and three titles in the top 20
- #1 Ear & Hearing (IF 3.262), the official title of the American Auditory Society
- #6 Otology & Neurotology (IF 2.014)
Peripheral Vascular DiseaseLWW has six titles in the top 10 and eight titles in the top 20 including the top title, Circulation:
- #1 Circulation, published on behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 15.202)
- #2 Circulation Research, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 11.861)
- #3 Hypertension, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.873)
- #4 Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis & Vascular Biology, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.338)
- #5 Stroke, published on the behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 6.158)
- #8 Current Opinion in Lipidology (IF 5.839)
LWW has two of the top ten journals in the Radiology, Nuclear Medicine & Medical Imaging category:
- #5 Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging, published on behalf of the American Heart Association (IF 5.795)
- #7 Investigative Radiology (IF 5.460)
LWW has the top journal in Rehabilitation:
- #1 Journal of Head Trauma & Rehabilitation (IF 4.443), official journal of the Brain Injury Association of America
LWW has two titles in the top ten and three titles in the top 20 in the Sport Sciences category
- #2 Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews (IF 5.283), published on behalf of the American College of Sports Medicine
- #4 Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise (IF 4.475), published on behalf of the American College of Sports Medicine
LWW has the top journal, two journals in the top 10, and five journals in the top 20 in the Surgery category:
- #1 Annals of Surgery, affiliated with the American Surgical Association and the European Surgical Association (IF 6.329)
- #5 American Journal of Surgical Pathology, affiliated with The Arthur Purdy Stout Society of Surgical Pathologists and The Gastrointestinal Pathology Society (IF 4.868)
TransplantationLWW has two titles in the top 10 and three titles in the Top 20
- #7 Transplantation (IF 3.781), official journal of The Transplantation Society
- #10 Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation (IF 3.272)
In addition, the following journals ranked in the top 10 in their specialty:
Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, Critical Care (IF 2.348); Cancer Nursing (IF 1.824); Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care (IF 4.519); Retina (IF 2.825); The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal® (IF 3.569); Psychosomatic Medicine (IF 4.077); Journal of Addiction Medicine (IF 1.726); Journal of Thoracic Oncology (IF 4.473); Current Opinion in Rheumatology (IF 5.191); Current Opinion in Nephrology & Hypertension (IF 3.964).
Rankings are published annually in the Journal Citation Reports®, a registered trademark of Thomson Reuters. Impact Factor (IF) is a measurement of the frequency by which an article in a scholarly journal is cited in a particular year. It is considered by many to be a measure of a journal’s influence and prestige. View a full summary of LWW journals.
About Wolters Kluwer Health
Wolters Kluwer Health is a leading global provider of information, business intelligence and point-of-care solutions for the healthcare industry. Serving more than 150 countries and territories worldwide, Wolters Kluwer Health’s customers include professionals, institutions and students in medicine, nursing, allied health and pharmacy. Major brands include Health Language®, Lexicomp®, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Medicom®, Medknow, Ovid®, Pharmacy OneSource®, ProVation® Medical and UpToDate®.
Wolters Kluwer Health is part of Wolters Kluwer, a market-leading global information services company. Wolters Kluwer had 2012 annual revenues of €3.6 billion ($4.6 billion), employs approximately 19,000 people worldwide, and maintains operations in over 40 countries across Europe, North America, Asia Pacific, and Latin America. Follow our official Twitter handle: @WKHealth.
Director of Communications
Wolters Kluwer Health
+1 (215) 521-8928
Director, Marketing Communications
Wolters Kluwer Health Medical Research
+1 (646) 674-6348